Captain’s Log: Stardate 10445.2
This past Saturday, the Enterprise was more than ready for the challenges that usually come with racing in the City Island Cup. We had the right amount of weight. We had the right amount of muscle.

If only we had the right amount of wind.

After an hour delay, the race committee started up in a 6 knot breeze which quickly died down to nothing at the windward mark. It’s a Westerly. No, it’s out of the South. It’s coming from the North. We tacked 10 times without changing course. At one point, we crossed the stern of the USS Chaika pointing 90 degrees different than she was, all on the same tack and the same point of sail – and we both were moving.

All four divisions piled up at the windward mark. Who’s starboard? Who’s leeward? Who’s moving?

Things did pick up and we did achieve a speed of Warp 1.2 on the way back to the committee boat, but the three-hour time limit ran out. So, despite being in first place, it all counted for nothing.

The crew did a great job of moving the sails around and sitting on the leeward rail (which was an ever-changing location) during the most frustrating of race conditions. In light air, it’s so difficult to concentrate on wind direction, tactics and sail shape without letting your mind wander to other things like, say, why is Lt. Patty wearing Becky’s (of USS Exuberance) underwear?

I woke up on Sunday and checked the weather forecast. NOAA was reporting that Western Long Island Sound would have 5-10 in the morning, decreasing to les than 5 in the afternoon. Ugh. Here we go again.

It’s official, NOAA is full of shit. What started out as 10-15 increased in the afternoon to 15-20 with gusts well into the upper 20’s. Both Soverel’s broached, several boats dropped out, spinnakers were blown into pieces and two people from two different boats went in the drink. It was going to be a high-warp hairy and wet ride.

We ran three races, finishing with two seconds and a fifth. The fifth was in the second race of the day and could be credited towards my decision to keep the #1 flying (although downwind, we were flying like a bat of hell) and Commander Richard’s start which not only had us at the pin side of the line too early, but also had us colliding with it. We did what we could to make up for the loss time, but in the end, only passed 4 boats (two of which corrected over us.)

Commander Jory and Lt. Patty did a great job in very demanding conditions. A commendation goes to them both.

We finished the series in 2nd place overall. Another candy dish on the shelf and another great race result for the Enterprise.