Captain’s Log: Stardate 10451.8
We were expecting the worst. All indications, which included an email from now-Starfleet Meteorologist Lefty, was that winds were going to be light and we were going to have passing thunderstorms. Ensign Yej, being only her second time on board and having just returned from a two-week excursion to Planet Canada, was especially worried about the thunderstorms. Luckily, Lt. Mitch and I were there to calm her by telling her that if things get crazy, to go down below and hold on to the vertical post in the middle of the cabin.

But no thunderstorms came and the wind was close to perfect – enough to keep things moving fast, but not enough to start considering sail changes.

The course was set and with two projected spinnaker sets, we kept thinking how nice it would be if Jory and Hilde had come. Nevertheless, with Crewman Ramon and Crewman Mike, we pressed forward.

Starting in fourth place, we passed the entire fleet upwind and rounded the first mark. Thanks to the exceptional work of the spinnaker team, our set was flawless. We dropped the chute early (seeing as we had several new people on board) and lost some placement at the second mark. Ensign Yej was especially talented during the take-down – surefooted and walking around the deck like a pro. If only there was always a deck present where she was walking…

The second upwind leg had us keeping clear of the favored right side of the course and we lost some more ground, but made up for it during some high-speed maneuvers through a passing spinnaker fleet. Things were going well, but then the red alert system enabled –

Eagle was close by.

Most captains at this point would start their motor, drop out of the race and warp as far away from Eagle as possible. But not us. Risk is our business.

Eagle’s proximity may have put New York City at high terror alert.

I think this was the point where Dave put on his life jacket.

Rounding near SUNY Maritime (which I now hear was evacuated) and just off the Throgs Neck Bridge (which I now hear was closed), which isn’t far from LaGuardia Airport (three-hour flight delays – that one is true, by the way) we had, though I could have sworn it impossible before hand, an even better spinnaker set.

We cruised at Warp 7.2 to the finish line, crossing second and corrected into fifth. The last boat to finish, yet correcting over the entire fleet was Surcease – leading the other captains in the fleet to start plotting the demise of her, which could include willful direct collisions. So, until next week, we’ll be reinforcing the bow with steel and I’ll look into registering