Captain’s Log: Stardate 10460.5
Just after the conclusion of the Women Skipper’s Race (we’ll get to that in a bit,) we arrived at the clubhouse for the usual generous helping of war stories, beer and barbecued food. There, in the parking lot, was the USS Eagle’s Captain Bivona’s Mazda Miata with about 80% of its surface area covered with wet clothes. Oh no . . .

Oh yes. During the race, on the downwind leg, the helmswoman on the Eagle saw the fleet move towards the left side of the race course and decided that it was the proper direction to turn the boat. Standing on the right side of the boat, trimming chute and, at least for the moment, proud of the work his crew was doing, stood Captain Ernie. Unfortunately, the helmswomen did not realize that turning left would change the wind angle. Ernie did know this, but it was too late. The Eagle jibed. Usually with an uncontrolled jibe, the boom has been known to swing – sometimes very quickly – from one side of the boat to the other. This time was no different, however during the swing, the boom grabbed a passenger along the way. In true Three-Stooges style, Ernie was swung off the deck and was hanging over the waters of Eastchester Bay, for what he claims was 10-20 seconds, until dropping into the murky depths of what some swear to be a toxic combination of salt water, chemicals and sewerage.

Though no official charges of mutiny have been filed, Star Fleet Command is investigating as to why his crew did not pull the boom back in over the ship during those 10-20 seconds.

Our race wasn’t as eventful. We had a fairly competitive start (as competitive as I wanted it to be without myself or Richard on the helm) and performed excellently towards the upwind mark in heavy wind conditions. Our helmswoman, Lt. Patty, took on her own command style by letting the crew interpret what she wanted when she would yell out out phrases such as “I’m not comfortable with this!.” Our downwind legs were well-executed with two wing-on-wing sets. Commanders Dave and Jory both found it amazing how much easier it was to do wing-on-wing compared to setting a spinnaker while Lt. Mitch did a fantastic job of handling the control lines.

The short race concluded with a game of chicken against an approaching barge which cost us our standing. We crossed the line in third, correcting over the boat that crossed second, but lost over three boats that finished behind us. All in all though, a great race and a great day on the water.

Finally, many thanks to Commander Dave and Lt. Mitch for their help during a morning cruise with some high-ranking Federation officials. They had a wonderful sail and we have once again cemented our standing as the flagship of the Federation.