Captain’s Log: Stardate 10461.4
I must have changed the stations on my car radio a dozen times, desperately hoping to find a weather report that didn’t include the words “severe” and “dangerous” in the thunderstorm warning that was in effect. No such luck, and additionally, I heard uplifting phrases like “70mph wind gusts”, “1.5-inch hail”, and helpful tips on what to do when surrounded by multiple occurrences of surface-to-ground lightning (which, by the way, is to crouch down on your knees – probably as close as one could physically get to kissing your ass goodbye.)

But we wanted to race. Everybody wanted to race. We’ve had more cancellations than a CBS sitcom. Sitting on the porch, I flipped on my weather radio and heard the Emergency Alert Broadcast System tones.

Here’s how badly I wanted to race: Briefly, in my mind, I said to myself, “Oh please let this be Al-Qaeda.”

It was windy, clearing up and other racers put on their foulies and headed out to their boats. They’re so brave.

Or so stupid.

We went out and after ten minutes of motoring to the starting areas decided we were not going to race. The clouds got darker, lightning started flashing, and we just as quickly headed home to the comfort of the porch.

About 20 or so boats did start and braved the conditions, but, when Division 6 was a half mile from the finish, the lightning increased and the captain of the committee boat called it quits. All races abandoned. Frankly, I was impressed that he stayed out there as long as he did.

Kudos to Commander Dave, Lt. Mitch, Lt. Kurt, Lt. Patty and Ensign Bill for giving it a shot when others wouldn’t dare to show. Missing in action was Ensign Yejide – no phone call, no email, nothing. With all due respect to the Beatles, we are beginning not to believe in Yejide.