Captain’s Log: Stardate 10538.1
While the rest of the world stood on line at movie theatres waiting until midnight, Commander Dave, Lt. Mitch, Ensign Bill and I dropped the mooring, left orbit, and had a wonderful sunset sail in Eastchester Bay and Western Long Island Sound.

The rig seemed sound and we adjusted car positions for upwind legs while the Enterprise glided along in near-perfect conditions.

Meanwhile, for Race 1 of the Wednesday Night Race Series, the race committee had to deal with 32 boats and a mid-sequence 180-degree wind shift. Their options were to either reset the line and change the course for Divisions 3, 2 and 1, or cancel Divisions 4, 3, 2, and 1 – or cancel the entire night. But, with 32 boats, months of waiting and a wonderful evening, they took a “fuck it” attitude (which was well-received) and let things stay as they were. The three remaining divisions had a downwind start, and, frankly, I’d like to see more of them in the future.

So, while the crew now tries to determine the overall benefit of red uniforms and whether or not correlation is causation, we eagerly await our first race next Wednesday. All crew are to report to the Enterprise by 6:30pm next Wednesday night.

We will then, as we have done in the past, boldly go . . .