Captain’s Log: Stardate 10553.4
It was all my fault.

It was my fault when the genoa team couldn’t get synchronized so as to provide speed for our start, making us 15 seconds late over the lane. After all, I bought the boat, the genoa, the sheets and the winches.

It was my fault when I took Commander Richard’s tactical advice to stay in the middle of the course when most of the fleet went right and took advantage of the Throgs Neck Bridge lift which only happens, oh let me count, one, two, three, four, five . . ., um, EVERY TIME THERE’S A FREAKING SOUTHERLY! DAMMIT!

It was my fault that I didn’t buy a J/105 with a sprit asymmetrical spinnaker so that the first downwind leg, which was really a broad reach, would have had us moving a high warp (the top finishers were all J/105’s last night.)

It was my fault for believing Commander Dave’s positive response to “Are the lines clear to jibe?” and then it was my fault for actually jibing the boat. And, it was my fault when the lines weren’t clear, thereby stopping all forward momentum.

It was my fault that we didn’t jibe downwind on the last downwind leg since the wind was clocking further south and there was breeze on the right side of the leg.

But, there is light at the end of the wormhole. We are getting better. The boat is moving faster and everyone is getting more familiar with the layout. With more practice, we will be a contender.

And until then, it’s all my fault.