Captain’s Log: Stardate 10571.8
Ever since I first named a boat “Enterprise,” I have endeavored, over many years, to attached common Star Trek terminology with common sailing terminology. For example, the bridge is the cockpit, warp drive are sails, impulse drive is the engine, a warp factor is a knot, and so on. They have become second nature to us, so much so that when I say we’re moving at Warp 7.2, everyone on board knows exactly what I mean. Yet, after all those years, I have never come up with an equal meaning for “ejecting the warp core’ – Until this past weekend.

The first race of the Sayers Series was pretty much a non-event. The storms that were to be considered a far-reaching arm of Tropical Storm Ophelia instead were so far east that what was left in our end of Long Island Sound was nothing more than a humid windless heap of air. I know I’ve talked about windless days before, but for the first time the little flywheel at the top of the mast wasn’t moving at all. 0.00 knots of breeze. On board was myself, Commander Jory, Lt. Kurt and Lt. Kurt’s daughter Claire, who is delightful and as cute as a button, and don’t get me wrong here, but after a hour or two of “Do you know what?” questions, I felt like I was watching a Trojans commercial.

For the second race, Kurt and Claire had to go home, so it was just Jory and I for this one. At the time we dropped the mooring, it was blowing a steady 9 knots. That, and a 3-point PHRF adjustment for being doublehanded had us believing it was going to be a great race. So, then came the starts, and 9 knots grew to 12. 12 grew to 15. 15 grew to 16. And before our start, 16 grew to 17-18. All of a sudden, two people became an issue.

White caps formed on the bay. And we really gave it our all, despite how much we were getting terribly overpowered. How I dreamed we had Kurt back on board. That is, if Dave, Mitch, Richard, Ryan, Bill, Phil, Sid, Ozzy, Dave Z, Lefty, Roman, Patty, Kay all came with him. At this point, I would have taken Jerry Finger.

Then came the gusts. In no time at all, the repair job I did on the genoa was history. The tear increased. Pieces of Kevlar delaminating from the starboard side of the sail starting coming off and scattered into the bay. We had no choice but to drop out of the race.

We returned to the mooring, took the sail down (or what was left of it), and raised the Quantum Dacron #3 for the Fall Series. It’s a little smaller, but if there’s a lot of wind, it will be better for us anyway.

We then took the remnants of the Kevlar sail ashore and “ejected the warp core” right into the dumpster in the center of the club’s parking lot.