Captain’s Log: Stardate 10574.2
Last night, while flying my shuttle home, I engaged my new Blackberry communicator and called the home of our esteemed First Officer.

“Hey,” I said. “How are you?”
“Good.” He replied.
“Haven’t heard from you in a while. Are you in for the Fall Series?”
“You’re asking the wrong person . . .” And then, somewhat muffled through his telephone receiver, I heard “Hon, can I go do the Fall Series on the 8th and 9th?” in a tone of voice that had me rethink the importance of the institution of marriage. “Yes, the 8th and the 9th.”
A pause. A dreadfully long pause. In fact, I wasn’t quite sure what I’d hear next. Could be anything from an “OK, dear” to a gunshot.
And then: “OK, I’m in. as long as we’re going spinnaker.”

And yes, we are. Today, I sent on our entry for the Enterprise, spinnaker division, for the Fall Series, our final mission for the season. Before I spend a few months planning out winter projects and getting sail quotes for Pentex or Carbon Fiber headsails, the brave crew of the Enterprise (minus a few) will face October weather and push the boat as fast as it can go with a smaller headsail (I’m requesting a rating change of +3.)

Among the returning crew will be Ensign Sid, who claims that not only will he try and bring on a new crewman, but also a couple of his lady friends to fill the position of “eye candy.”

So, if I blush when Lt. Mitch asks how my mast bend is, you’ll know why.