Captain’s Log: Stardate 10618.9
A little after midnight this morning, a fire started at Morris Yacht and Beach Club totally destroying the over-150-year-old Victorian building. There’s no word yet as to the cause other than being “suspicious.” It was confirmed, however, that Ernie wasn’t sailing nearby during the incident, and he has therefore been ruled out as a suspect. Rumors have been flying – the most interesting of which is that Johnny’s and Tony’s were frying something other than shrimp, clams and French fries last night.

It will be interesting to see what develops at the end of our little island over the next months and years.

Meanwhile, with temperatures due to hit the 60’s tomorrow under sunny skies, I will be heading out to the Enterprise tomorrow to start her springtime preparation. Aside from some electrical work, a little clean-up, and a few odd-jobs here and there, there’s really not that much to do. But, I plan to milk every minute of spare time doing it. I need to be back on board. It’s been a long winter (I’m sure Lt. Kurt will chime in and say that last winter was, to the second, as long as the winter before, but I’d rather he spend his time reading up on main sail trim – like in this article.)

Thanks to Commander Jory, we now welcome Crewman Nate Bonheimer to our ranks. Nate is a friend/co-worker of Jory’s whose father owned a sailboat of the same make and model of the Enterprise. I figure he won’t be on board a week before he tells us we’re doing everything wrong (We are – I just hate when someone tells me.) Jory says now that he has Nate locked in, he’ll work on the females he knows next. This, of course, leads me to question Jory’s priorities and has me wondering just how many times he’s seen Brokeback Mountain. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

This coming Wednesday, there’s a sail trim and sail material seminar at our club and on the 29th, an EBYRA-hosted seminar about safety and emergency situations given by Captain Henry Marx. I saw Captain Marx speak at an Atlantic City Boat Show years ago, and he managed to scare the crap out of me. Should be fun.

Updated sailing/racing schedule coming soon – including official dates for this year’s premiere yacht racing event: The Montauk Worlds Regatta.