Captain’s Log: Stardate 10672.1
I originally tried to write this log entry on Monday morning, but after a weekend of lots of sun and light-air sailing followed by an early-morning wake-up call, I found it terribly difficult to write on my laptop, much less keep my eyes open, while waiting for my flight to Palm Beach at Gate 132 in the Continental Airlines terminal at Newark Liberty Airport.

Even now, after two days of meetings and a delayed flight home from an area where the average age seems to be 58 and the hardest rock station on the radio I could find plays back to back headbangers like Spandau Ballet’s “True” and Barry Manilow’s “Mandy” followed by a Metamucil commercial and a public service announcement regarding osteoporosis, keeping awake is still a challenge.

As for the entry (not that I forgot,) with the crying kid in the seat a few rows up and the plane sitting on the tarmac for an eternity going nowhere, I was reminded of the past weekend’s adventuresome races on the Enterprise.

The weekend started with the EBYRA Fall Series, where we had the shortest distance races imaginable and took the longest time to run them. Light air forced the committee to run only two of the planned four to five races.

On board, was Yeoman June, Lt. Kurt and Lt. Commander Mitch along with a couple of 21 year-old French students that I found on the meetup site, thanks to an email I received from Vivien, one of the two.

The plan was simple: Oogle the 21-year old French chick named Vivien, ultimately giving Mitch someone to flirt with, and do what we could to alienate, maybe ditch, her boyfriend Mattiew. But, in another season-defining moment, I didn’t know that in France, Vivien is a man’s name. With all due respect to Jean-Luc -- Fucking Frogs!

Nevertheless, the two did very well. Mattiew was a big help in the cockpit and Vivien did very well on foredeck setting the pole and sprinting the jib across the deck on tacks. As good as Dave is on foredeck, we didn’t know that his work could be done by a college student from France with a girl’s name.

The next day was the City Island Yacht Club Sayer’s Series, in which Dave and Bill decided to bring along their sons (for clarification – the have sons separately. As far as we know, Dave and Bill are not a couple. But, if they were, it would be clear which one would be the woman.)

I’ve been sailing and racing for over 30 years now. I have been through storms, high winds, ripped sails, gear breaking, heavy fog, broaches and hull-breaking collisions. Yet, this past Sunday, we faced our most difficult challenge ever: keeping four boys on the leeward rail for a 1.5-mile leg in light air. I haven’t heard this much crying and whining on board since the ice chest was out of Budweiser or when the Zoraida didn’t bring cookies. Even Yeoman June got frustrated and decided to step on one of their hands.

How do you keep young boys still? Where’s a catholic priest when you need one?

At lease we took a third in the first race. For the second race, the boys and their fathers went home. Crewman (AFOF) Ozzy showed up and we sailed, ever so slowly, to finish the second race in poor position.

As it stands now, our final race of the season looks like it’ll be October 7 for Port Washington YC’s Charity Cup. In the meantime, I’ll be reviewing my files for my season-end report along with my recommendation for commendations and promotions, if any, for the Enterprise crew.