Captain's Log: Stardate 10757.8
Having just packed up the life raft for shipment back to Ithaca, absolutely pleased that it didn't have to become the Enterprise-C, I find myself looking back at the past several days with pride for the performance of the Enterprise crew during the Around Long Island Regatta. And even though conditions for this year's trek around were as close to perfect as one could imagine (1-3 foot waves, no storms, no seasickness,) I can tell that even if moments of adverse conditions attacked, this crew could handle it as well as, if not better than, any other ship out there.

We reached the starting area with a couple of hours to spare, and as we circled the area waiting for the blank-head committee (fill in the blank with whatever you like – bone, dick, or moose) I joined in a work-related conference call from the bow – something I highly recommend for anyone in business. I did, however, need to explain to the participants where I was and what I was doing, which gave me an opportunity to explain to them the two things I learn from doing this race:

1. Why they named it "Long Island" and 2. Maybe I should take up golf.

Still, I think my professionalism came into question when after I was told there was too much wind coming through the phone, I replied "Isn't that great?!"

Call over, we prepared for the start. The pin was heavily favored (see reference above to blank-head committee) and we timed it out perfectly. And, just for the fun of it, we forced a competitor over the line early – now he'll have to deal with a lost 30-40 seconds on this 190-mile race.

We shot down the ocean from the start like, as one person said on the telephone this morning, a "rocket."

Sorry. At 7.5 steady, sails trimmed perfectly, "rocket" doesn't quite cover it. Next time, try "starship!"

Winds did change and we were faced with some challenges, especially trying to get around Montauk on anything more than current, but the crew handled the shifts and velocity changes with true expertise. And when we flew past The Gut at Warp 9.2, it was hard to imagine anything could possibly go wrong.

But, like with any long-distance race, there are always a few things. First, there was a concern over the possibility of a crewperson having problems hearing, but, that paled to the problem we had with a couple of other crew members having problems listening.

And, apparently Lt. Jonathan had a moment of crisis in the head when he couldn't get a Biscotti out of the sink – but, as he later explained, it wasn't exactly a biscotti, and it wasn't really in the sink. Getting a lot of fiber there, Jonathan?

And, we almost had a mutiny on our hands when Captain Dave and Yeoman Brittany discovered that in order to fit enough water, Gatorade, juice, milk and soda on board, the beer had to go.

And, finally, impulse power went offline when the belt snapped and there was no replacement in sight. We went into power-saving mode and it all worked out anyway.

With everyone on deck over 40 hours after our start, the Enterprise cruised at high-warp to the finish line. With only seconds to go, we saw a man on the RC boat waving his arms and jumping for joy. We wondered if he did this for everybody or if he was just some sort of freak Star Trek fan, but we tiredly waved back anyway. Then, to our surprise, he grabbed the rifle and pointed to the sky. Boom! Wow! First to finish in our division! And, even though we corrected into third place (losing second by five minutes) this was a true victory for us on many levels – a victory that belongs to a crew that have proven themselves time and time again that they belong on the Federation’s Flagship. We basked in the glory as we sailed the Enterprise home.

And, for the first time in my several years of competing in this event, I did not say "I am never doing this fucking race again." I'm not sure if it'll be 2008, but we will be going back.