Captain's Log: Stardate 11044.1
Last night, diners at City Island harbor view restaurants and drivers on the Bronx-bound side of the Throgs Neck Bridge were both thinking exactly the same thing:

Who the hell are those idiots out sailing in this weather?

That would be us. Us and 16 other boats who braved the storms and reminisced about those days when damp was the new dry. Last night, drenched was the new dry. How wet? My 5 X 8 bathroom now looks like a used foul weather gear showroom. My socks, 12 hours later, are still stuck to the wall.

Every tack dumped so much water out of the sails onto the cockpit crew that it was all starting to look like outtakes from opie crab season on The Deadliest Catch.

But, we did incredibly well, despite the weather and despite being short-staffed. Kenny was on a flight somewhere over the US, Mitch had family issues and Luke, well, poor Luke had the sniffles.

Our start was pretty good, especially given that we were still working on the main at the 5-minute warning and didn't even have the sails up yet at 3 minutes to go. We tried some new things, and some new positions, as part of our 2010 strategy.

One of the new techniques, learned at our North U. Seminar last Winter, was a "burping" of the headsail prior to a tack (though I guess in all that rain, a burp could very well be a belch, or a vomit.) We tried a foot first, which Lt. Jonathan instantly said that it was two feet, not one. But, having seen it myself and with our releaser in full control and full view of the one-foot length of line, the only conclusion we could come to was that Jonathan's wife must have been really disappointed.

Our two spinnaker sets were PERFECT! WOW! And, thanks to a 90-degree windshift, we didn't have to jibe on either leg, much to the disappointment of Lt. Ellen, who's always ready with organized lines and Commander Richard, who's always ready to bark out (sometimes misinformed) orders on what to do next.

After the race, I started up the practically-new impulse drive and brought the Enterprise home to Starbase One, very satisfied with our second place for the evening, pleased to hear a few crew on boats say Happy Birthday, and yet a little annoyed that it was high tide inside my sneakers.

But, hands down, the best part of the night was the birthday celebration down below with the crew singing Happy Birthday and seeing the amazingly-delicious Boston creme birthday cake. Then again, when I saw the candles on the cake, I did not think about the crew, being with friends and loved ones, or even being 44 years old...

It was more like: Oh no, not another fire.