Captain's Log: Stardate 11055.6
On our way out to the Enterprise yesterday, the radar showed several large red and yellow masses over northern New Jersey, but they looked to be heading either south of us towards Long Island or north of us to White Plains and the Connecticut shoreline. People seemed genuinely concerned about the tornado warning for Bridgeport, but, seriously, have you seen Bridgeport lately? It could use a fresh start.

Once aboard the Enterprise, we began setting up, including turning on the wind instruments to monitor wind speed. According to the SailFlow App on my iPhone, Kings Point was seeing a steady 14-16 knots of breeze. Perfect!

And, when we turned it on, we saw 14-15. Then, within a few minutes, we saw 10-12, then 8-10. "Quick!" Captain Dave exclaimed. "Turn off the instrument!"

We powered out to the starting area fully loaded with crew, except for the dynamic duo of Lt. Kenny and Crewman Luke, who, in their infinite wisdom, thought the fastest way to from Manhattan to the Bronx was through Queens. And, at 1830 Hours, the departure time for the Enterprise, guess where they were? Yes, still in Queens.

I hear next week they're going to try a new shortcut, going through Queens, Nassau, part of Suffolk, getting on the Port Jefferson Ferry, going across the Sound to Bridgeport (assuming there still is a Bridgeport) and then down I-95.

As a big nasty storm cell moved across way to the north of us, we experienced a 100-degree windshift and a nice surge of breeze. It kicked up to the mid-20s and the Enterprise was screaming along at Warp 7.4 on the main alone. I think we heard 8 boats drop out of the night's racing, including Chaika. Wusses.

We had a failure of a shackle on the main halyard, but it was a quick fix and we still got out to the starting area with 7 minutes to go.

The winds kept shifting with the cell's movement, as predicted, and, thanks to the quick response time of Lt. Ellen and the jib team for our last-second tack to port at the starting line, we put tons of distance between us and the competition. We had 10 boat lengths on the Terrorist and Forza looked like it was in another time zone.

The windward mark quickly became a fetch, then a reach and then a downwind run. We rounded well in first, with a bunch of J/24s from another race series using the same mark.

There was one point when we were approaching a J/24 on starboard tack, who clearly had rights on us, but I did, for a moment, consider making it a couple of J/12s. Or, from our trajectory, a J/8 and a J/16.

The winds continued to shift, build and decrease, and the Enterprise crew did all they could to take advantage of every one. But, as we were making our way down the downwind leg, which was now an upwind leg, we heard three horn blasts and a radio call from P.R.O. Eben Hansmire that the evening's races were cancelled because the winds were getting too squirrelly (and yes, I had to look up how to spell "squirrelly" for the Captain's Log.)

I called the committee right away and exclaimed how well we were doing. They responded almost immediately, "We saw that Enterprise. Sorry."

Oh well. It was a great night nonetheless. Even now, Thursday morning, at 10:17am, I'm still reliving the moments and am all smiles.

And, I figure Kenny and Luke should just now be arriving on the boat.