Captain's Log: Stardate 11071.1
It's hard to believe, but another year of Wednesdays has come to an end. And, I'm proud to announce that, thanks to the efforts of the crew of the Enterprise, our Quest for Silver is complete and we will be taking home a silver dish, cup or other $30 piece of crap for the trophy case -- all thanks to that one one-thousandths of a point separating us from Glory Days.

The margin should have been greater, but I did all the calculations ahead of time and this would have been the worst-case scenario - a four-boat race with us in last and Glory Days in first. Our throw-out would change and we would have that slight margin of victory.

Why last? The best answer I could give is that it's time to forsake my religion and stay on the race course. That one-week break made us rustier than a 1998 Mercury Tracer in Seattle. And, just look what happens when I'm not around -- Mustang Sally rams into our committee boat and (could it be?) another Eagle bites the dust by running into Big Tom. Chaos. Utter chaos.

Our biggest f-up for the night was my start. I was so early at the line that I should have been starting with the division ahead of us. I should have looked for that wind gust (as I usually do) and went out a little further. But nooooooo. I was eager and wanted it too much. So, during one of the most beautiful sunsets in Eastchester Bay history, the Enterprise had one of its ugliest starts in history - barely missing the mark, jybing around, and starting on port tack a good 5,000 boat lengths behind the rest of the fleet.

We gained some ground -- some -- on the first leg and then set a perfect spinnaker at the windward mark, gaining some more ground. The next best thing to do, tactically, was to jybe. So we did.

Sort of. Eventually.

I heard a lot of yelling. Dave yelling ease the lazy sheet. My father yelling to put tension on the lazy sheet. Head down, Kurt! Grind, Kurt! The boom went over, and then back again. Somebody PLEASE hand me a phaser set on stun.

We did gain ground on the downwind leg, actually rounding the leeward mark ahead of two boats, but slow tacks in the dark and the realization that trying to go through a barge is not the fastest way to sail sealed our fate for the night.

But, then again, it all really didn't matter. The standings were cemented - it was just a matter of margins of victory.

Once back at the mooring, we dined on sushi, chips and boxed wine while Lt. June told us about how her Jeep was stolen on the street of New York - which I suppose can happen when you leave the keys in the ignition, the doors unlocked and a sign in the window saying "Free Car".

All in all, a great season. Well done by all. Hopefully, we'll have enough people to put together a campaign for the Fall Series. In the meantime, I'll start working on off-season events, our schedule for 2011 as well as contemplate my future with EBYRA.