Captain's Log: Stardate 11140.0
Last night, the Enterprise had a full compliment of crew on board along with special guests, the captain and first officer of the USS Resolute out of Starbase Atlantic City; Chuck and John Schaeffer. The Resolute, a C&C 34R, has similar rigging to that of the Enterprise, and, in an effort to increase their knowledge of spinnaker workings on their boat, they found the Captain's Log on the Internet and, despite that, decided to come out anyway. After all, we still rank #1 on Google for "Spinnaker Clusterfuck". Scary part is we're #2 and #3 too.

One crewperson did ask why they chose to keep their boat at Atlantic City, to which the captain responded that it was close to home. I think it's because it's just that much easier to place the boat on the Pass Line. Come on 7 or 11! Boy, if I lived near Atlantic City, we'd probably be on the Enterprise-F by now -- or back to sailing a Blue Jay (with a boat loan on it.)

As we powered out to the starting area, we swore-in new Crewmen Emily Glodek and Alex Depetris as official members of the Enterprise Crew. Basically, you get a geeky embroidered-logo shirt to sweat in. "I, state your name, do solemnly swear to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no one has gone before."

Our start wasn't horrible, but could have been better by the favored end of the line, which, by the way, was the committee boat named "Favored End". Even still, we had clear air and good speed, heading up the course at Warp 6.3. The weekend before I had spent some time, muscle and sweat tuning the rig -- and I think we saw a real difference.

We approached the sole windward mark very close to a fishing boat and just behind The Terrorist, who, thanks to an adjustment to his rudder over the winter gives us time -- thanks also to the ever-corrupt tinkerings of the YRA PHRF Board (as Todd Aven once pointed out, the P in PHRF doesn't stand for Performance -- It stands for Political.)

Our spinnaker set was fast! It was so fast that a part of the spinnaker couldn't keep up with the rest of it and we ended up flying with a 2-foot hole in the chute. For the first time in my racing career, I was praying that the wind did not increase. One good tear and Bam! -- Several thousand down the bilge.

The team did an amazing jibe, still on Choucas' tail, with no loss of speed whatsoever. As soon as the new guy was taught and the pole was in place, Dave turned to Captain Chuck and his son and said, "OK. Did you guys get all that?"

There was silence. Yeah, well, it took us a few seasons to get it right. So, don't sweat it.

Saving the best for last, we actually passed Choucas on the downwind leg, crossing the finish line first in our division. Unfortunately, we needed at least another minute's-worth of distance on Glory Days behind us, so we ended up correcting into second. All in all, a great race. Well done by the entire Enterprise team and our guests.

Finally, on our way back to the mooring, we were experiencing problems with one of the mast cars -- the main was stuck half way up the mast. Many thanks to Crewman Beth (a/k/a Spiderwoman) for sprinting up the mast and fixing the problem. I'll look at it all before next week's race.

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everyone -- I'm planning to get a little sailing in on the Runty Kid II, formerly known as the Enterprise-A.