Captain's Log: Stardate 11141.9
With a tornado watch in place until 8:00pm last night for our area and one touching down in Massachusetts killing 4 people . . .
. . . we figured the smartest thing to do was go racing, of course. We had, pretty much, the full team of regulars on board with the exception of Lt. Kurt (work) and Lt. Zoraida (Florida) and all seemed eager to get into the adventure, with the exception of, maybe, Crewman Emily who we had trouble extraditing from the clubhouse bar.

Getting on board just a tad too late, I had little time to repair the upper batten issue that sent Crewman Beth up the mast the week before. Lesson learned: A rushed fix is no fix. And although the mast cars were not jamming like they were last week, the batten did do healthy olympic-like dive from 45 feet up into the cockpit, barely missing Lt. Ellen, who, thankfully, was not in her normal position.

Then came our start (8 seconds late, but still waaaaaay better than Division 3 who had boats crossing over a minute after the gun) followed by a very brief upwind leg. Why brief? Let me put it this way:

UK Sailmakers just called to apologize for not putting the repaired spinnaker in the shed for last night and offered a 10% discount on the repair bill. I thanked them, but told them we ended up not needing it last night, and if they check the UK shed this morning they'll see why. We never made it to the upwind mark.

Within a few hundred yards of the start, we had, to put in terms that we're used to, a complete warp core breech. The entire clew of the headsail ripped off, dropping our control lines to the deck. Thankfully the crew furled the headsail quickly -- because, as we all know, without containment, a warp core breech could cause an explosion that would destroy every ship and planet in the sector. We saved everyone in Eastchester Bay.

What was the cause? Here's what happened: As mentioned before, there was a tornado watch in effect for our area until 8:00pm. A very small, very localized, tornado touched down between the bow of the Enterprise and the companionway, and only on the port side of the ship. While everyone else on the racecourse was sailing in 18 knots of breeze, we experienced 150 knots of breeze (this micro tornado was an F5, by the way.) The Enterprise, unable to travel over Warp 40, could not handle the stress and that was what caused the headsail clew to break off.

So, officially, it was a tornado.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Oh well, we'll have everything repaired and good again for next week's race -- the day of which will be the very last day in which I can say I'm in my low 40's.