Kaptain's Log: Stardate 11163.0
With Kenny working, Alex stuck in NYC without a ride, Emily still on vacation and my father frustrated that his iPhone won't download porn during his flight to Newark from Sante Fe, the Enterprise Krew gathered for Race 12 of the EBYRA Wednesday Night Race Series. Filling in was a guest crewmwmber from Dave's Kayaking club, John. The winds were steady out of the South, but all weather forecast models were calling for a substantial decrease after the sun sets (sunset time was 22 minutes after our start, by the way.) But hey, what the hell. Eben decided to cook up another long Kourse.

And, as predicted, the wind got light. Still, thanks to the work of the team, we configured the sails and centerboard, we pushed hard to keep our place on the first leg, then had a perfect spinnaker set, followed by a textbook jibe and take down.

On the next windward leg, conditions were so nice and so perfect. The Enterprise was heeled at 10 degrees, traveling at Warp 5.7. As I heard the Krew remark at how great the sailing was, I fought the inner urge to bear off, set the chute and head towards Block Island.

But no, there was racing still be done. And, we put a great deal of distance between us and Glory Days -- and were catching up to the Terrorist. One more mark rounding, another set, another jibe and who Knows.

So there we were, approaching the Throgs NecK Bridge. The Kurrent extra strong. The pole up, the spinnaker set . . .

And we hit the marK. I'll let you guess which marK it was, but there are hints throughout this Kaptain's Log. Really SeKret tough hints.

We didn't smacK into it all that hard, but there was a good part of it left on the hull of the Enterprise. We took quite a few minutes to re-round the marK, and in my mind, I was half expecting the side of the ship to look like this:

We managed to stay ahead of Glory Days, but not enough to make up for corrected time.

Oh well, we finished fourth. But, without Richard on board, things were much quieter. The only challenge left for the night was Zoraida.

You see, coming out to the race, Lt. Zoraida left her purse, with basically her whole life in it, on the Bx29 bus.

Como se dice "Ditzy" en espanol?

I won't go into full details involving cryptic text messaging, phone calls to deaf roommates and late-night "Mission: Impossible"-esqe chase sequence through Pelham Park between a Honda Pilot and a City Island Bus, but after a phone call to a guy named Salerosa and a trek to the bus depot outside co-op city, I'm happy to report that the purse is back in the hands of its rightful owner -- iPod, cards and cash intact.

What adventures await next week? We shall see.....