Stardate 11328.8

Captain's Log: Stardate 11328.8
After the destruction of the former Enterprise-A, and once the insurance check cleared, my father, Commander Richard, has been on the search for a new used boat to own.

Since he'll be mostly single-handling the boat and likes working on projects, he wanted to find a boat that was less than 30 feet in length and was responsive enough to teach his grandchildren how to sail.

And last Sunday, after a survey and negotiation, he purchased a C&C 27 Mk V named Gemini from a dealer in Maryland:





And if things were just left at that, there would be no issues. But like using epoxy, any sanity will have to be matched with equal parts of crazy in order to have results.

You see, my father is an antique art dealer, focusing on 18th, 19th and early 20th Century paintings. But he also deals with, from time to time, more modern works. And, apparently, one of his more favorite artists of recent years is Tom Wesselmann (1931-2004) -- Wikipedia Biography.

Now, according to the so-called "experts", he's a pretty big deal, with his artwork going for hundreds of thousands of dollars. Personally, I think he's a monumental hack, who has fooled the world, but then again, maybe that's why my father is in the art business and I work in law firm marketing.

But I digress. In 1973, Wesselmann finished a series of paintings, 100 of them in total, called the "Great American Nude", arguably his most famous series of work. And so, with that in mind, my father has decided to name his new C&C 27 Mk V "Great American Nude".

But that's not all, sports fans. He plans to, as soon as he decides on the right image from the 100 paintings done by this Ohio-born pervert, to put one of them along the side of the boat. Perhaps one like this:



Yes, that's a Wesselmann. And it sold at Christies in 2008 for $983,048.00. I shit you not. See here.

Art or not, it certainly has an adult theme. Would you have a boat with that on the side in your yacht club mooring field?

And what about the grandchildren? Right now, I doubt their mother, my sister, would even let them near that boat. But then again, once puberty hits these two kids, they may want to be there all the time.

Anyway, I support his decision 100%. On one hand he has the guts to do something different and unique with his boat, much like I did years ago with the Enterprise. And, on the other hand, I figure it makes for a good "Exhibit A" during the competency hearing when we get control over the money.