Stardate 11344.1

Captain's Log: Stardate 11344.1
With another birthday come and gone, I'm trying to figure out what's bugging me about it all. Is it that I'm now officially in the upper 40's? Is it that I have trouble staying awake past 11pm? Is it the wee-hour trips to the bathroom to, um, wee?

Don't get me wrong. It was a great birthday. My bride and I spent a gorgeous day on the Enterprise followed by a great dinner at City Island's The Lobster Box and then we capped it all off with a delicious chocolate birthday cake that was actually labelled by Stew Leonards as the "bomb"! A really great day.

So why the gloomy feeling? I finally figured it out.

J.J. Abrams.

Now, I like the new movies and certainly enjoy what he has done with the franchise, but it is a reboot. It's the adventures of Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, and the crew of the Enterprise, but just not THE Captain Kirk and not THE Mr. Spock. Heck, it's not really THE Enterprise either. And why is that? They are too old. And old looking.

(And, there's reports he's about to do something similar with Star Wars Episode VII, showing the aging Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford as a segue to new, young characters, hopefully with acting skills better than the Episode I-III guys.)

I get it. I do. In order for the franchise to survive, new people need to be brought in. And nobody wants to see this on an IMAX screen:



-- and, oh God, certainly not in High Definition 3-D.

I know he's over 80 and I'm only 47, but maybe there will come a day when nobody will want to see me out there on my Enterprise. Perhaps there will come a day when people on the race course will start thinking things like "Hey old man, what are you doing on that hot-looking sail boat?"

Which leads me to last week's race -- and another evil little culprit in this disturbing mortality-reminding trend:

David Beaver, Jr.

Out of the 5 people that made it out last Wednesday, 4 were over 46 years old and 2 of those were over 60. We're all moving slower and losing focus. That is, all except little David, who we moved to tailing the headsail and in one night, was doing the job better and faster than someone who will remain nameless, but has been with me for over a decade. Hint: his name rhymes with Kurt.

By the way, Kurt said he had to miss last week's race because of work, but we all knew he was home with a fresh box of tissues watching a Blu-Ray of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants II.

Little David kept us moving fast in our all-important upwind leg.



And we won. We fucking won. If I didn't love this kid so much, I'd hate him.

And, after 4 races and for the first time in what seems to be many, many years, I can say that the Enterprise is in first place overall in our division.

So we're going to push back on the clock. Now, as far as I'm concerned, Eastchester Bay is the fountain of youth and we will all forget about age and strive to keep winning. I refuse to get old. Each Wednesday Night, we'll sail fast towards the second star on the right and straight on until morning.

That is, until someone casts a bunch of 20-somethings to play us in a reboot.