Stardate 11356.4

Captain's Log: Stardate 11356.4
After taking a week off due to work demands (Kurt), a trip to Florida (Ceaser), a dislocated ankle (Dave), and an apparent unwillingness to come sailing (Zoraida), the Enterprise returned to actually race in EBYRA's Wednesday Night Race Series. It did feel good to have the team assembled again, but I must admit, going out there the week before just to snap photos was a nice diversion:

Last night's conditions could not have been better. A nice breeze, great temperatures and low humidity, with practically every ship in the fleet raring to go. Perfection, I tell you. Perfection. So how does EBYRA start this great night with such great conditions? With a postponement. We couldn't see any reason why other than, perhaps, the J/24 fleet hovering around our windward mark. In other words: They race, we wait.

Load photon torpedo. Lock targeting sensors. Fire!

On board for her first race ever, was Mrs. Ceaser, Olga, who came with her camera in a quest to capture all of the action as it unfolds. But first, before we start, a shot of the crew:

Wow. It's amazing what a few years and some salt air will do to a group, especially considering what we used to look like:

The racing was phenomenal, including what was my best start of the season -- right at the favored end (which was the committee boat, aptly named "Favored End"), at full speed and with a fraction of a boat length between us and the line at the 0:00 mark. Unfortunately, after a few tacks and crawling between the cabin and the boom, Olga decided to spend the balance of the racing supervising the below decks of the Enterprise.

The wind lightened for a bit on the downwind leg, but increased nicely for the final upwind leg, where the Enterprise exceeded Warp 7 and we endeavored to put every pound we could on the rail. This was, of course, during this sunset:

On starboard tack, Olga stuck her head up from the companionway to take that photo and to say that there was water in the head and on the left side of the main cabin. This was, of course, perfectly natural. At higher angles of heel on a C&C37+, the sink in the head will drop below water level, and therefore will let seawater back into the boat. But, I must admit, it was fun to hear the little bit of panic in her voice.

As Gregg Manjorin from Mr. Tap Toe said on the launch later in the evening, "You guys were hauling ass!"

We did cross the line first, but corrected into 4th. Unfortunately, Time-on-Time scoring works well in a dying breeze, but not so much in a building one. Still, quite an amazing night, which some of the crew celebrated with a well-balanced nutritious meal of sushi, peanuts, and Cheez Doodles.

We're ready to return next week, but, in the meantime, we wish the best of luck to our First Officer, Captain Dave, who will be spending the next few days on Star competing in the Around Long Island Regatta. The should be fine as long as they keep the island on the left.