Stardate 11442.5

Captain's Log: Stardate 11442.5
Well it looks like it was a good move for EBYRA (and, seriously, how often does EBYRA make good moves?) to not run a race this evening due to the free Jennifer Lopez concert at Orchard Beach, right next to City Island. J-Load is expecting 25-30,000 fans and I'm told roads are already closed leading from the Hutch and Shore Road. What a mess.

I guess I just don't get it. Personally, the only way I'd want to see J-Lo at Orchard Beach is if she looked like this:



Anyway, it's not like we'd be racing anyway. The Enterprise was hauled yesterday afternoon at Consolidated Yacht Yards after the expert divers at Barnacle Busters (who I will always recommend) were unable to access the centerboard attachment in order to remove the other half of the frayed cable and connect a new one. So, Consolidated has picked up the boat, pushed the board back in, and is now bolting it in place forever followed by sealing the slot to create, as far as I know, the world's first and only C&C 37+ shoal-draft-keeled sailboat.

I've also asked them, since they have the boat, manpower and tools, to see if they can -- finally -- mount the Tacktick wind instrument and repeater onto the mast. Hopefully they can, and, with some luck, we'll have the Enterprise back soon.

I must say it will be a welcome relief to have to never worry about the costs and maintenance of having a centerboard, especially knowing the amount of damage it could do and the lengths one has to go to just to do a scheduled replacement cable.

A maintenance-free keel again. Not a bad birthday present to myself. Throw in a cupcake with a candle in it, along with, possibly, an hour or two in my new foredeck hammock-chair with my wife and my Bose bluetooth speaker cranking out some Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band from my iPhone 5, and I'm good to go.

Racing for us will start up again on June 18.