Stardate 11443.3

Captain's Log: Stardate 11443.3
As the Enterprise continues to be repaired, I found myself trying to think of ways to get out on the water this past weekend - sans starship, so to speak. One option was to call one of the five or so captains I knew planning to participate in the City Island Cup for two days of working on someone else's boat in close to zero breeze "racing" in a poorly-marketed, half-baked regatta (they only got 2 out of the 5 races in) or try something completely different: Party Boat Fishing.

So, on Saturday night, while waiting for our entree at Applebee's (I can wine and dine with the best of 'em), I purchased two tickets on my iPhone 5 for the "Island Current" -- 8 hours of Long Island Sound porgy fishing departing from City Island.

The 8 hours did include almost 4.5 hours of motoring to Northport and back, but being out on the water is always a magical time for me.

Initially, I had some concerns about being on a Bronx-based boat, but the crew of the Island Current are very friendly, know their stuff and did a fantastic job getting us set up, finding a perfect fishing spot, and giving some much-needed expert advice on the best way to catch. After a few tries, I caught my first porgy - a little over 12 inches. And then, as luck would have it, I caught a striped bass.

That's right, Porgy and Bass. You knew I had to get that in there.

I had to throw the bass back, because they said it wasn't in season. I guess the bass didn't get that memo.

But the porgy kept coming and coming...


And before the rods had to come out for the motor back to City Island, we had over 25 in our bucket, which meant two things:

1. If you laid them out, end to end, it would be longer than my father's boat.

2. I'm looking at all sorts of fish dinners in my near future -- Fried porgy. Barbecued porgy. Porgy scampi. Porgy with mixed vegetables. Ummm, er, porgy parmigiana?

Finally, as we were powering back with our freshly filleted catch of the day looking out over Rye, Mamaroneck, Larchmont, New Rochelle and Hart Island, I started to think about the smaller porgies we threw back (10" minimum) and the striped bass, coming to the conclusion that, maybe, we should start believing people when they say they were abducted by aliens.

After all, this bass will go back to his family and say he was just hanging around, minding his own business, getting something to eat, and then, all of a sudden, there was this great force pulling him upwards towards a great light and giant beings who evaluated him and then let him return home.

Of course, the other bass will think he's crazy.