Stardate 11475.3

Captain's Log: Stardate 11475.3
Fresh on a new high from our racing performance in the last two races of the EBYRA Wednesday Night Race Series, it was time to head east for the Third Annual C&C Rendezvous in Newport, Rhode Island. I've always wanted to bring the Enterprise to Newport, but, this time, my work schedule and the weather forecast got in the way.

Before I get into all of the details of the trip, I wanted to state, once again, how great our final race was. There is nothing more satisfying than finishing a racing season with a race in total darkness where you pass 15 boats in less than 4 miles. I only wish I had video of it all, but the only thing we do have is a photo of us provided by one of the competitors just before we passed them:


Anyway, on to the weekend. Because going by Enterprise was ruled out, we decided to make a short vacation of it by staying in Mystic and visiting Newport - as well as schedule time to spend visiting with the C&C'ers.

On our way up I-95, we stopped in Old Saybrook for some lunch and, at her suggestion, some antiquing. And there we were, looking through this quaint little shop filled with early 20th century and late 19th century furniture and collectables.

Wait. Holy fuck! Did I go antiquing? What the hell has happened to me?

As I kept in mind the location of both exits, my wife stopped cold at a 1920's waterfall vanity with a $150 price tag wrapped on one of the drawer handles. And walking over to us was one of the elderly shop owners saying, "Isn't that just a lovely piece?"

I looked upwards, hoping for a transporter beam to energize and get me out of there, but no go.

In all honesty, it was a great piece of furniture, and my wife has been wanting a vanity for some time now only to be disappointed by high costs and the limited space in our place. But this one was a good size and maybe, with a little modification, it could work. So, thanks to the History Channel, I channeled a combination of Mike Wolf (American Pickers) and Rick Harrison (Pawn Stars). "It's ok. It may work for us. I don't know. 50 bucks."

The old bat was ready for me. "It's a 1920's waterfall vanity. I was looking to sell it as a set with the dresser. If you want this alone, 75." And then her husband, who looked old enough to make Mick Jagger look like a toddler, walks over.

What do they say on those shows? Oh yeah. "I don't know. It's a little rough. We can do 60 bucks." Yeah. They use those words. Rough. Bucks.

The woman put her hands on her hips (and I wondered if they were the originals) and said some mumbo-jumbo about the provenance of the furniture and some other crap about it that was meant to impress me. Then she offered a counter offer of $65.

Then that feeling came over us that was very similar to passing those boats a few days before. We got this. "I just don't know. We need to lift it up a bit, add a mirror, fix a drawer, reupholster the seat. I'm firm at 60 dollars." Did I give a crap over $5? Hell no. It's $5. This was a game now and we were going to win.

Silence. She said nothing. I said nothing. Then, finally, old fogey hubby said, "Yeah, we can do it for $60." The next thing I knew, we were putting it all in my car and I was mentally high-fiving myself. This was fun. This was really cool. I could get into this antiquing thing.

Wait! What? Holy shit. Get me to a West Marine - Stat! (And yes, our next stop was West Marine in Mystic).

Anyway, with a little work and some parts from Home Depot, we now have a 1920's waterfall vanity with a mirror and power running inside it for hair dryers, curlers, etc. Ellen loves it and, to be honest, I like it too:


What's that old saying? Happy Wife, Happy Life.

After West Marine, we went through some little shops in Mystic and I found this awesome hand-made sign which was perfect for the Enterprise:


Anyway, the next day, it was off to Newport to do a short walk around the village and then meet up with the C&C'ers at the Rendezvous at the Alofsin Pier in Fort Adams State Park. As an added surprise, Barry Carroll, who worked with the original C&C manufacturers and now is part of US Watercraft, the team that is designing and building new C&Cs, was there to give us a little talk and show off their two new models, the C&C 30 One Design:



and the C&C Redline 41 Cruiser/Racer:



They both seem like phenomenal boats, though I wonder if anyone is going to shell out the half-$million price tag for the 41. Maybe if I channel Mike Wolf and Rick Harrison again....

The highlight of the trip was getting together with old friends and meeting new ones at the C&C Rendezvous. We visited their boats, chatted, drank and ate until the sun went down. It was such a great time that I volunteered to run the next one in LI Sound in September 2015 (Details coming soon.)

All in all, a great end to a great season.

Wait. Did I say end? No way. It's not over just yet. We have another weekend or two and I hope to make it count.

Especially now that I rigged my new captain's chair on the foredeck:


Sweet.