Stardate 11672.4

Captain's Log: Stardate 11672.4
It's been quite some time since I've posted another log entry, mainly due to the fact that the Enterprise has not been traveling all that much this season. Instead, we've been spending a lot of time making improvements and fixing some issues that have been on the to-do list for quite some time. The autopilot, or Steering Using Linear Utility, or SULU, has presented a few issues, but with a slight change in direction, I expect that to be fully functional by Spring and working seamlessly with a new "Big Unit" which it will communicate with. I've also installed a new 40-Watt solar panel and all I can say is, wow, what took me so long?

Simply put, the Enterprise is better than ever.

So what else has been going on? After months of wound care, I was finally able to start racing again. And, to make sure I didn't suffer any further issues with the leg, I chose to go with a non-spinnaker boat -- New Freedom.


No -- not THAT New Freedom. But, to be perfectly honest, after just one week of being back on the water, I did feel reborn, renewed and fresh. You know, kinda like this:


Maybe it IS that New Freedom. Those product development scientists at Kotex just changed the look from a panty liner to a Catalina 34:


Of course, it's all pretty meaningless when the entire Wednesday Night crew is all men and all old enough, including me, to have gone through our "changes."

New Freedom is owned and skippered by Mark Lasser, the self-proclaimed "Captain and Financier of the Maxipad" (see, it's not just me) and does a great job of making what is basically a '4KSB' into a competitive beer-can series racer. After one week on board, Mark graduated me to tactician and crew boss, so, much like before, I'm looking for puffs, going to school on Thin Man and Whirlwind, cursing the existence of Wuestwind and yelling at the crew to do things faster and better.

The best part? Every thing that breaks - every line that is frayed - every racing expense -- it's all on Mark now. If you listen carefully, every time something goes wrong on New Freedom, you can actually hear the little Spartan guy on my American Express card sigh in relief.


Though nothing will really ever compare to the crew of the Enterprise, the team on New Freedom is made up of a great group of people. They concentrate, work hard and have a good time. Although I considered, once the leg was back to 100%, getting onto a more action-packed spinnaker boat, I must admit that I'm having a great time with them.

So I'll get on my white horse and ride through the morning dew-filled sunshine in a newly blossomed field of daisies. If they'll have me, I'm staying with New Freedom next season and beyond.